This Masterclass is inspired by the Meadow Flowers Project in Wendy’s book ‘Layer, Paint and Stitch’, during the day you will learn how to layer natural fabrics and trimmings, stitching them down with freehand machine embroidery to create a textured background. Fabric paint will then be applied to the layered surface before stitching into it creating a meadow of flowers and grasses. Enjoy learning how to ‘draw’ with your machine and develop skills, which you can put into practise on your own machine at home.
Under Wendy’s guidance you will:
- Select some natural textured fabrics and arrange them on a background of calico.
- Learn how to set up your machine for freehand embroidery and stitch the fabrics in place using white cotton thread.
- Add natural/white flower trimmings for additional texture.
- Use fabric paint to colour the background layers.
- Have a short sewing practise creating foliage and flowers, and then you can enjoy stitching into your design with coloured threads, incorporating coloured sheer fabrics as you work.
Your beautiful flower meadow will come alive before your eyes, as you gradually build up the design.
Full day Academy Masterclass tickets include:
Lunch and refreshments throughout day, all equipment and materials including: fabrics, trimmings, paints, threads and any other consumables.
Academy workshop tickets also include a Complementary ticket to visit the main show on another day.
Suitable for all levels of ability over the age of 16 years.
Meet the Tutor
Wendy is an experienced artist, tutor, and author inspired by landscapes, architecture and natural forms. She exhibits, lectures and teaches workshops nationally and internationally. Her wide-ranging work includes wall hangings, pictures and garments.
She is the author of the Search Press bestselling book ‘Layer, Paint and Stitch’, which covers stitching, layering and painting techniques and gives helpful tips throughout, as well as projects to create your own stitched textile designs.
Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable